CVU’s 2020 Habitat for Humanity Trip
When does it happen?
When does it happen?
- During “spring break”…we will leave on Saturday, April 18 and return on Sunday, April 26.
- We plan to go to Winston-Salem, NC. We went there for the past four years and have had a great experience. We go there because there is a need AND to provide a cultural experience AND some warmer weather!
- Based on 30 students going, the cost is (approximately) $650.00/student. The breakdown of how that money is spent is:
- Two nights at a hostel in D.C. ($25 pp per night)
- Collegiate Challenge Fee ($35 per person)
- Mandatory “Donation” to Habitat Forsyth County ($200 per person)
- Bus (Lamoille Valley Transit) = $11,500)
- Remaining money is used to provide food for the week, hotel accommodations for the bus driver and miscellaneous expenses.
- Yes. This chapter requires all participants to be at least 16-years-old by the first day on the work site. Thus all participants must be 16 by April 20, 2020. Sorry, no exceptions.
- There is limited scholarship money available. If you need assistance, please talk to one of the trip advisors.
- Yes, but it is up to the students/parents to organize it. It can either be done as group and the money raised will be used to offset the cost for all, OR it can be individual fundraising to reduce an individual student’s cost.
- We’re meeting now to hopefully avoid having the trip not go due to money issues. By knowing about this now it is hoped that students and their families will have time to plan, work, and save in order to be able to afford the trip.
- It is an incredibly powerful trip. You get to experience another part of the country and help others who are less fortunate than many of us. You get to meet the family who will be getting the house you are working on and see the joy in their eyes and voices when they thank you for your generosity. You get to meet CVU students you may not have met before. You get to have an “alternative” spring break and enjoy some warm weather…and, it looks good on your transcript/resume or makes an excellent college essay! All in all…it’s a win-win-win!
- Complete the application and submit it to Carol Fox with a check for $100.00 made out to “CVU Habitat for Humanity.” Determination on “who gets to go” IF there are more than 30 applications will be based on the date/time we receive the application AND deposit. We are asking for deposits to be made by January 6, 2020. IF we don’t have at least 20 students confirmed by Friday, February 21 (Friday before the February vacation) we will need to cancel the trip.